VA Benefit Can Pay for Rent in a Retirement Community
Let Us Help You Qualify for an Extra $1,936/month as a Wartime Veteran
(Click to download VA Benefit Flyer)
The “Aide and Attendance” program provides extra payments to qualified veterans who live in a “protected environment” like Treemont. You can use the VA payment to cover safety, rent and meals at Treemont, letting you keep the money you currently pay for housing and food. We are working with Patriot Angels, a non-profit organization whose sole mission is to help veterans qualify for this benefit.
Who is Eligible?
- Veteran over 65, who served during war time, with honorable discharge (no flexibility)
- Or surviving spouse, married to the qualified Veteran at the time of death (no flexibility)
- Needs some care assistance, or a protected living environment (some flexibility)
- Household income of less than $2,100/month single or $2500 couple after care costs (some flexibility)
- Assets less than $131,000, excluding home value and personal property (some flexibility)
- Must not be receiving a benefit for wounds suffered during service (some flexibility)
Patriot Angel Role:
- Patriot Angels will do a free “initial evaluation” to see if you quality for this benefit
- They will help you identify and collect all the documentation needed for a formal application
- They will review your documentation to confirm eligibility, and organize to support VA approval
- Only if the documentation supports your eligibility, Patriot Angels will charge a one-time fee of $795 for a pre-filing consultation and Long Term Care Assessment with VA accredited attorney before submitting your application to the VA, and follow the process until a benefit is awarded.
Treemont Retirement qualifies as a "protected living environment" with support services that include 24-hour staffed emergency call on site, meal planning and preparation, housekeeping for a clean and healthy living environment, and transportation to medical appointments. These services can meet the basic requirements of the VA program, and qualify for use of the new funds provided directly to the veteran. Residing at Treemont will help your application meet the qualifications and review by the VA.
If assistance needs are higher, or increase over time, additional Personal Care services such as medication management can be added in the independent living section by contract with Senior Allegiance, an on-site home health company. Even higher level care needs can be accommodated by the assisted living or skilled nursing programs in the Treemont Health Care Center.
- Call Erin Walker at Patriot Angels. Erin Walker Community Relations Manager Office Phone:844-757-3047 Direct Line: 615-656-7245 Email: Erin@PatriotAngels.com
- In a week, Erin will complete a preliminary screen to see if you qualify, and if so, will connect you with other Patriot Angels staff to continue collecting and evaluating additional documentation required. The VA review process can take 3-4 months after the formal application is completed.
- The VA benefit will be back-dated, effective to the date of submission. If your application is submitted on January 1st and approved on April 1st, you will receive the benefit back-dated to January 1st. Click for more on Patriot Angels.
Can you imagine what an extra $1,250 to $3,017/month in a veteran's pocket would do for you or a loved one?
Call Lupe or Linda or Keri at 713.783.6820 to get the VA application process started. Or call or Email Lisa Witt, Marketing Manager /Owner at 505.797.8735. We will get you on the right path to receive the veteran benefits you have earned for serving your country!