Healthy Tips: Fall Prevention at Home
This is the first in a series of Healthy Tips for Seniors living at home or in assisted living Houston, TX communities. I hope you will find these posts beneficial.
- Each year, one in every three adults ages 65 or older falls and 2 million are treated in emergency departments for fall-related injuries.
- The risk for falls increases as we age.
- About half of all falls happen at home.
Tips for Fall Prevention
- Performed exercises. Lack of exercise can lead to weak legs and increasing the chances of falling. For example: Tai Chi exercises can help increase muscle strength and improve balance.
- Be mindful of medications. Some medications or the combination of certain medications may have side effects such as dizziness or drowsiness. These side effects may increase your chances of falling. It is important that your doctor or pharmacy reviews your medications to reduce the chances of risky side effects and drug interactions.
- Keep their vision sharp. Poor vision can make it harder to get around safely. It’s very important to have yearly appointments with eye doctor to ensure you have the correct prescription strength and are able to see clearly.
- Eliminate hazards at home. Fall hazards at home may include: tripping hazards, clutter, and poor lighting.
Steps for Fall Prevention at Home
- Remove things you can trip over, such as papers, books, clothes, and shoes from places where you walk.
- Remove throw rugs or use double-sided tape to keep the rugs from slipping.
- Keep items you use often within reach to avoid using a step stool.
- Utilize/Install grab bars inside and next to the tub or shower and next to your toilet.
- Use non-slip mats in the bathtub and shower floors.
- Make sure you have proper lighting in your home.
- Avoid walking barefoot or with slippers. Always wear your shoes both inside and outside the house.
Remember to call 911 if you have a fall incident and you are not able to stand up, move or you are experiencing excruciating pain.
For more Information, call Ana Vazquez RN, Alt Clinical Supervisor @ 832-627-6470
Click here to learn about Independence Plus, an alternative to Assisted Living in Houston, TX.