Senior Apartment vs Senior Living Community Options Explored
In the assisted living community business, we often we get inquiries from seniors or their family members, puzzled about the independent living services that are included as part of a retirement community or assisted living facility in Houston, TX. Prospects often ask the price of a one or two-bedroom apartment. If they are looking for a basic apartment without any services, the price quoted is often higher than they expect. The reason is that senior living communities offer a higher level of amenities than does a senior housing or senior independent living apartment complex. The "extra" services such as meals, transportation, housekeeping can mean the difference between a senior being able to remain independent.
- Three Delicious Meals Served Daily (some senior communities only offer 2 meals/daily)
- Room Tray Service Available
- Weekly Housekeeping Service
- Transportation to Doctors and Shopping
- Free Laundry Rooms on Premises
- Personal Laundry Service Available
- Diverse Library
- Gift Shop
- Recreation/Exercise Room
- Assigned Covered and Uncovered Parking
- All utilities paid (except phone and cable)
- Private Room may be Reserved for Special Occasions and Celebrations
- Controlled Access
- Hair Salon on Premise
- Emergency Call System in Apartment
- Personal Assistance and Home Health Services Available on Premises.
- Peace-of-Mind 9 O'Clock Check Program
A senior apartment will offer many amenities, such as the following, but may not have the so-called “peace-of-mind” amenities listed above.
- 1 and 2 Bedrooms Available
- Emergency Call System
- Fire Management System
- Smoke alarms
- Sprinkler System
- Walk-in closet
- Grab Bars in Bathroom
- Cable TV Hookup
- Window treatments
- Individual Climate Control AC/Heat
A senior living community will also offer activities for seniors in assisted living. As a result of the above services and amenities, a retirement home or assisted living community may cost more. However, before automatically choosing an independent senior apartment, you might be wise to compare apples to applies, as you may be comparing apples to oranges. Make a budget, starting with the base rent of a home or no amenity senior apartment vs a senior living community. Then add:
- Groceries and Meals out (up to $400 monthly)
- Weekly Housekeeping (up to $300 monthly)
- Taxis to Doctor’s appointments ($75 monthly)
- Other services – Activities – Professional Entertainment ($50 monthly)
Click to Compare the Value. By the time you add up the extra amenities, you might be adding $800 in additional services included in a senior living community residence to the base rent of, for example, $800-$1,000 monthly. At that point, if you’re up to $1,600 monthly, that may be comparable to the starting cost of a 1 bedroom full amenity apartment in a retirement community.
In addition, a retirement community often provides a continuum of care options, all on the same campus, for when one's care needs increase. The benefit is seniors don't have to move when their care needs change.
Everyone has their list of top priorities for choosing a retirement home. It is important to know what features are most important as you navigate your choice of a senior living or senior apartment complex or assisted living Houston. Some people’s first priority is to have 3 meals a day available. Others say they want the ability to cook in their apartment. You should get what you want. The key is to understand what you want and then determine what a particular assisted living community in Houston, TX provides. For more information on the difference between senior communities, click here. Feel free to email me if you have additional questions. Click to to view the Top 10 Questions to Ask When Searching for Assisted Living, Houston, TX. If you're still not sure, check out this Resource Guide on What to Consider in Assisted Living.